Mouseburger and the OED

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Aug 14 21:51:26 UTC 2012

At 8/14/2012 05:37 PM, Joel S. Berson wrote:
>...  Although Fox alleges that Brown coined "mouseburger"; I see in
>the OED that the Daily Times-News of Burlington, N.C. had it 11 years earlier.)

I see that the NYTimes on-line has a correction:  "The obituary also
referred incorrectly to "mouseburger," a word Ms. Brown invented to
describe women, like her younger self, who were physically
unprepossessing and had few prospects. She had used the word at least
as early as 1971; she did not coin it in her book "Having It All,"
published in 1982."

I assume there is evidence that the Daily Times-News was quoting Brown.

Joel