Margalit Fox channels Dorothy Parker?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Aug 15 01:12:11 UTC 2012

At 8/14/2012 08:37 PM, Arnold Zwicky wrote:
>On Aug 14, 2012, at 5:24 PM, Laurence Horn wrote, on Margalit Fox:
>
> > "The advice she offered Cosmopolitan's readers on winning the
> right friends and influencing the right people was squarely in the
> tradition of Dale Carnegie, if less vertically inclined."
> >
> > LH, wishing *all* NYT obituary writers had the advantage of
> training in linguistics like the artful Ms. Fox
>
>she's definitely the Death Notice Star at the NYT.

I didn't realize that -- I don't often vet the bylines for
obituaries.  (The best I can do is often recognize Natalie Angier's
style/choice of topics on the Science pages; viz. today.)  And
prolific and focused -- her c. vitae, at
http://topics.nytimes.com/topics/reference/timestopics/people/f/margalit_fox/index.html,
shows many.  Including one line I remember relishing:  "Ms. Zepos was
an international authority on the buying, selling, making and above
all the almost transcendental experience of eating cheese."

But should Fox rather be called the Appreciation of a Life
Star?  (Although I like the Star Wars connection in Arnold's
professional title.)

Joel