Revenge of the quote (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wed Aug 15 15:08:36 UTC 2012

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Zakaria did do some bad things with respect to his blog post that copied
stuff from Time Magazine, and has owned up to that -- no question.

But the issue with the Andy Grove quote is bogus.  Fahri made
accusations against Zakaria without checking his facts -- Zakaria did
credit Prestowitz in the original hardcover and paperback (as Amazon's
search inside the book shows) with chapter endnotes at the end of the
book.

Copies of the relevant citations are shown here:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/08/14/plagiarism.html

Zakaria's publisher calls Fahri's assertions "fundamentally untrue":
http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/mediawire/185113/frum-washington-post
-slimed-zakaria/

Looks to me like Zahri and the Washington Post screwed the pooch on this
one.

And I'd respectfully disagree with Joel's statement:
> Something put in quotes should always be cited to its
> source.

Obviously, there are many nonfiction books in political science and
recent history to which this generalization doesn't apply.  Bob
Woodward's "The Brethren", and Gene Kranz's "Failure is not an Option"
are two that I've read that I was able to confirm do not have end- or
footnotes.  The current NYTimes best seller "The Amateur" by Edward
Klein (about Barack Obama in the White House) doesn't seem to have end-
or footnotes (although it does have a bibliography and list of
interviews).  Neither does Nobel Prize winner Paul Krugman's "The Return
of Depression Economics".

If the author decides to write a book without specific notes and
citations, that doesn't make the author wrong (but it certainly may
affect the perception of the book).

Behalf Of

----------------------

------
> -
>
> Naming the speaker is not the same as citing the source.  In contrast
> to Victor, I believe Zakaria was incorrect ethically.
>
> If Zakaria found the statement by Grove in Prestowitz's book, then he
> should have acknowledged that.  "Grove said [X], as quoted in
> Prestowitz."  Or "... said [X] in an interview with Prestowitz".  And
> also included a footnote citing Prestowitz, page Y.
>
> Zakaria did the wrong thing by not citing his source.  He did a
> useful thing by naming the speaker.  (I find little more irritating
> in reading scholarly books than finding a quotation cited only to
> someone who published it, leaving the speaker and often the date
> unknown and forcing the reader to go to another book to get that
information.)

> But Farhi (the writer of http://goo.gl/tZjjl) does some wrong things
> also.  If one reads further in his article, it appears that Zakaria's
> sin was not citing his source for Grove's words (that is, not
> acknowledging Prestowitz), rather than using Grove's words.  But
> Farhi does not make that absolutely clear, since he uses the words
> "source" and "attribution" without explicitly distinguishing "naming"
> vs. "citing" and without saying explicitly whether Grove's words were
> or were not placed within quotes.  (In fact, there is an implication
> in Farhi's article that Grove's words *were* in quotes: "Zakaria, in
> an interview Monday, defended the practice of not attributing quotes
> in a popular book").  If Zakaria did not put Grove's words in quotes,
> then he plagiarized.  If he put the words in quotes but omitted
> Grove's name, then he was sloppy.  But if Zakaria put Grove's words
> in quotes and named Grove (but not Prestowitz), then in Parhi's lead
> sentence -- "Columnist and TV host Fareed Zakaria, who acknowledged

plagiarizing<http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/fareed-zakari
a-

suspended-by-cnn-time-for-plagiarism/2012/08/10/f6315e96-e335-11e1-ae7f-