suspect quotes on writing (UNCLASSIFIED)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Aug 16 17:38:10 UTC 2012

On Aug 16, 2012, at 11:27 AM, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC wrote:

> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE
>
> Buzzfeed just posted "26 Indispensable Writing Tips From Famous
> Authors":
>
> http://www.buzzfeed.com/expresident/writing-advice-from-famous-authors
>
> I know the first one is mis-attributed; as I've looked it up:
>
> http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1103A&L=ADS-L&D=0&I=-3
> &Y=bill.mullins%40us.army.mil&d=No+Match%3BMatch%3BMatches&P=98578
>
> I suspect that some of the others are hinky as well.

No doubt, but I think we have an explanation for a lot of modern literature.  Contemporary authors must be following Mark Twain's (purported) dictum in #14:

"Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very'; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be."

Anymore, there are no editors, so this strategy leaves in all the "damn"s, not to mention the "fucking"s.

LH