Baseball or Base Ball

Geoffrey Nunberg nunberg at ISCHOOL.BERKELEY.EDU
Mon Aug 20 04:24:49 UTC 2012

>  Sports Illustrated has long since documented the strange dearth of black Americans

Or to be more precise, "the strange and recent dearth," since the number of African American MLB players has dropped dramatically over the decades.

> "The African-American population in baseball this season has plummeted to 8.05%, less than half the 17.25% in 1959 when the Boston Red Sox became the last team to integrate their roster, 12 years after Robinson broke baseball's color barrier with the Brooklyn Dodgers. It's a dramatic decline from 1975, when 27% of rosters were African-American. In 1995, the percentage was 19%." "Number of African-American baseball players dips again," USA Today, 4/16/12 http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/story/2012-04-15/baseball-jackie-robinson/54302108/1

It doesn't feel like any of the standard explanations (USA TODAY mentions "A dearth of collegiate scholarships, increasing cost of funding teams in inner cities and, some say, a lack of opportunities in major league front offices") are adequate to explain such a precipitous drop, though I've also heard it suggested that it has to do with the rise of the NBA in sports consciousness. But in any event, that might account for part of the shift in usage of "ball" that you mention.

Geoff