owners are waiving in their commitment

Mon Aug 20 22:27:00 UTC 2012

". . . its top leadership consider seizing their golden parachutes and
leaping off the ship"

My father was a merchant seaman, and he very strongly advised me once that
parachutes weren't the best choice when leaping from a sinking ship.  But
perhaps they have been improved since his time.

As the oldtime New Yorker would caption this, "Block That Metaphor!"

GAT

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 5:48 PM, Garson O'Toole
<adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com>wrote:

> News Corp. and Disney Plan to Yank Hulu Content, But Hope to up
> Subscriptions
> Jason Mick (Blog) - August 20, 2012 4:00 PM

> [Begin excerpt]
> In short, this is a very volatile time for Hulu.  Its big media
> network owners are waiving in their commitment, even as its top
> leadership consider seizing their golden parachutes and leaping off
> the ship.  Ultimately the big media owners may be most to blame for
> this.
> Source: Variety
> [End excerpt]
>
> "...network owners are waiving in their commitment, …"
>
> I would use "wavering". Maybe there is some confusing with a phrase
> like "owners have waived their commitment". But that has a different
> meaning. I find it difficult to search for instances of this use. It
> may be isolated.
>
> Garson

George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much since then.