Quote: A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon (attrib Napoleon)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 24 00:18:03 UTC 2012

Garson, I was unfamiliar with the quotation before seeing it in Tyler
Boudreau's _Packing Inferno_ (2008). Like Heinl, Boudreau is a former USMC
officer.

The conjunction of three things makes me suspicious:

1. GB reveals nothing before Heinl, 1966.

2. The date of July 15, 1815, is the very day Napoleon boarded the
Bellerophon for the trip to exile on St. Helena. It seems like an odd thing
to say under the circumstances.  (Captain Frederick Lewis Maitland was in
command and the presumed interlocutor.)

3. I don't find the quote in J. M. Shafritz's collection_Words on War_
(1990), which quotes Napoleon more than 75 times.

JL