cuckoo-for-cocoa-puffs

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Aug 26 18:49:28 UTC 2012

On Aug 26, 2012, at 2:35 PM, W Brewer wrote:

> Alright, you cuckoos, 'fess up. How many of you thought that Little Anthony
> & the Imperials were singing "Shimmy Shimmy Cocoa Puff"?

Well, it is a natural for eggcornish/mondegreenic reanalysis, given that the actual line (which I see now why I could never parse in those old Google-less days) was "Shimmy shimmy koko bop".  Of course the line was provided by "a native girl" who was doing "a native dance" in "a native hut", so we'd need to know more about the native language

LH