complicit

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Dec 2 13:46:18 UTC 2012

Things can be "complicit" too.

2007 Helen Morales _Classical Mythology_ (N.Y.: Sterling, 2010) 142: As we
have seen, classical mythology was and is complicit in promoting racism,
nationalism, and misogyny.

Morales is Associate Professor of Classics at U of C, Santa Barbara.

I suggest expanding the OED entry with a secondary sense: "involved as an
intellectual or psychological influence, usu. in something sinister or
politically or philosophically backward."

JL