Quote: Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music

Sun Dec 2 20:15:45 UTC 2012

Update: The following saying is popularly credited to Friedrich
Nietzsche though I have been unable to substantiate the linkage:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who
could not hear the music.

This concept was used to provide the framework of a simile in 1813 by
the author Anne Louise Germaine de Staël. Other authors used this
trope in the 1800s, and several cites are given here:

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2012/06/05/dance-insane/

This update is about an alternative phrasing of the expression using
the word "mad" instead of "insane". Here is an instance published in
1927 in "The Times" of London:

[Begin ref] 1927 February 16, The Times (UK), The Dance, Page 15,
Column 4, London, England. (Times Digital Archive GaleGroup) [End ref]
[Begin excerpt]
They who dance are thought mad by those who hear not the music. The
truth of the old proverb was never more surely borne out that it is
just now.
[End excerpt]

In 1929 the expression was listed in the reference: "English Proverbs
and Proverbial Phrases: A Historical Dictionary". The citation given
was to the 1927 newspaper instance which was presented immediately
above:

[Begin ref] 1929, English Proverbs and Proverbial Phrases: A
Historical Dictionary, Editor G. L. Apperson, Quote Page 133 and 134,
J. M. Dent and Sons, London. (Questia) [End ref]
[Begin excerpt]
They who dance are thought mad by those who hear not the music.
Spoken of as an "old proverb." 1927: Times, 16 Feb., p. 15, col. 4.
[End excerpt]

In 2002 the reference "Thesaurus of Traditional English Metaphor" from
Routledge included a version of the adage and assigned it the
remarkably early date of 1575. A precise citation to support this date
was not given, and I have so far been unable to locate a sixteenth
century work containing the saying:

[Begin ref] 2002, Thesaurus of Traditional English Metaphor, Editor P.
R. Wilkinson [Peter Richard Wilkinson], 2nd Edition, Section: K.9b
Dancing and music, Page 897, Routledge Taylor & Francis Group, London
and New York. (Google Books Preview) [End ref]
[Begin excerpt]
they who dance are thought mad by those who hear not the music [1575]
Said when someone’s motivation is not appreciated; we should not judge
others without knowing all the facts.
[End excerpt]

Garson