"Shifters" and their "argot", 1922; some antedatings of OED

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Dec 3 15:58:16 UTC 2012

Well, 12 hours later "crasher" and "squirrel, n." still seem to have survived.

I don't have a key to the vault, but I do apologize for not having
kept up to date with Language Log.

Jon, are some of the other 35 terms worth (your, or someone else's!
not my) investigating?  For example:

"egg harbor:" = 'free-admission dance".  From the NJ place-name?
"monog" = 'one who is goofy about one person at a time'.  A
shortening of "monogamous"?
"jammed" = "intoxicated'.
"lollygagger" = 'young man addicted to hallway spooning'.  "lollygag"
as verb dates from 1880, it appears.

Joel