"hang together..." precursor? (1795)

Sat Dec 8 15:39:24 UTC 2012

Here is an example of precursor wordplay in 1776, I think.

Cite: 1776 [MDCCLXXVI], Euphrosyne: or, Amusements on the Road of Life
[by Richard Graves], Quote Page 280, Printed for J. Dodsley, London.
(Google Books full view)

http://books.google.com/books?id=LTAhAAAAMAAJ&q=hang#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
A Toast.

A. MAY the King and his People live together in concord,
And all rivals for places hang together in one cord:

B. With your toast I'll agree - so it be but a strong cord.
[End excerpt]