Q: "Nantucket coach"?

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sun Dec 9 19:56:17 UTC 2012

--

It is my impression that in Austin's text (<<This chair, like a
Nantucket coach, would answer for everything that ever went on

That is, I take the sentence to be equivalent to <<This chair would
answer, like a Nantucket coach, for everything that ever went on wheels.>>.

For comparison, if I write <<Tom, like Dick, can do any kind of work.>>
I probably do not mean to imply that Tom is similar to Dick in size or
age or running speed or other features.

The alternative interpretation ( = <<This chair, which had the general
characteristics of a Nantucket coach, would answer for everything that
ever went on wheels.>>) seems unlikely to me, the more so in the absence
of any standardized referent of the term "Nantucket coach".

Would the suggested whale-related concepts be sensible? <<This chair,
like a boat being towed by a whale, would answer for everything that
ever went on wheels.>>? <<This chair, like a whale's upper jaw, would
answer for everything that ever went on wheels.>>? Offhand they doesn't
seem right to me.

-- Doug Wilson