Possible Antedating of "Bebop"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 10 04:36:08 UTC 2012

On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 8:36 AM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The  possibly apocryphal version I recall has Gillespie saying, "The rhythm
> of most music is 'be-BOP be-Bop.' But now it's 'BE-bop BE-bop.'"

I had no idea that the story had so many variants, all sounding
equally unlikely. But, one of them - perhaps even one of these three -
may, in fact, be true.

Youneverknow.

I tried to discover whether there was, indeed, a side by Bud Johnson
with the title, "Be-Bop," from or before the relevant year. It looked
easy enough to do. It isn't. Hence, the trrelevant Lie-Nell Hampton
cite. Of course, if the relevant one had been easy to find, it would
have been found.

I heard a standard-speaking white guy on TV say "_Lie-Nell_ Ritchie,"
surprising me. My WAG is that he was familiar with Ritchie's own,
"standard"-BE pronunciation of the name and chose not to "correct" it.

--
-Wilson
-----