believe it or not

Mon Dec 10 23:34:10 UTC 2012

Wilson Gray wrote
> Jonathan Lighter  wrote:
>> Here's a folk saying that seems to have been overlooked despite its
>> excellence:
>
> "He lies when the truth can't hurt."
>
> Again, I'm surprised. I couldn't find a single instance of it.

Here are some quotes that I think are distinct but thematically
related to the one given by Wilson. The 2004 instance is a closer
match:

Cite: 1829 April 15, Hampshire Gazette, Catholics In New York, Page 2,
Column 1, Northampton, Massachusetts. (GenealogyBank)
[Begin excerpt]
She says her prayers and counts her beads with great devotion; she
goes to confession regularly, and she fasts twice a week, and on such
days will not taste meat, fat, or butter, as though her salvation
depended upon her abstinence: but at the same time she does not mind
telling a lie, even when truth would do best.
[End excerpt]

Yale Book of Quotations has:
[Begin excerpt]
Gore Vidal
U.S. novelist and critic, 1925–
He will lie even when it is inconvenient, the sign of the true artist.
Two Sisters (1970)
[End excerpt]

Title: Battlefield Earth