defend = 'defend against'

Geoffrey Steven Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Thu Dec 13 17:45:22 UTC 2012

'Iconicity', a concept borrowed from semiotics (and originally from Peirce) refers to parallelisms or similarities between things and linguistic expressions. In the particular case, semantic directness (as in 'direct object') is better expressed when there is nothing between the verb and its object. Confusingly, 'iconic' has a whole 'nother sense outside of linguistics, where it means something like the suggestions you made. But Arnold was using the semanticists sense.
Ain't polysemy grand?

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT