"Sassengers"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Dec 16 00:31:00 UTC 2012

14 July 1838, Boston Times, pg. 2:
In Saxony they make cheese out of potatoes; in Cincinnati they make
combs out of pigs' toenails; in Holland they make clam chowder out of
frogs; in New York they make _sassengers_ out of -- what?

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/hot_dog_polo_grounds_myth_original_monograph/

Pronounced [sasEndZ at z], maybe.

Down in Marshall, as a change of pace from bacon, we'd have for
breakfast fried, ground-pork patties called "saussengers"
[sOUsIndZ at z]. I wonder what the singular of "sassengers" was. Our
singular was "saussenger" [sOwsIndZ@]. Just as we chirren used
"peacher" [pitS@] as the singular of "peachers" [pitS at z], so also used
we [sOUsIndZ@] as the singular of "saussengers."

--