Front-Page New York Times Story on "The Whole Nine Yards"

Thu Dec 27 06:33:50 UTC 2012

Great congratulations to Bonnie and Fred for their breakthrough
research on this etymological puzzle that has fascinated people for
decades. Finding the examples of “whole six yards” was a major
advance. Kudos to Jennifer Schuessler of the New York Times for
writing about this fun topic for lovers of words and phrases.

And plaudits for the other researchers who provided the strong
shoulders Bonnie and Fred stood upon. Also, nice to see Barry’s
important work on “windy city” linked.

Garson

Fred Shapiro wrote