Deathbed Quote: This Is No Time for Making New Enemies

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Fri Feb 3 12:11:34 UTC 2012

Of Lewis D. Campbell (and non-commitment) wikipedia has : "Over his successful political career he was elected as a Whig, Know-Nothing, Republican and Democrat."
From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of Stephen Goranson [goranson at DUKE.EDU]
Sent: Friday, February 03, 2012 6:52 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ADS-L] Deathbed Quote: This Is No Time for Making New Enemies

Slightly earlier:

At a social party in Washington, Lewis D. Campbell was trying to explain away to his Republican friends the bad looks of his attendance and speaking at a Fillmore ratification meeting. He said he had not committed himself to the American nominations. "Yes," replied Seward, "I see what you mean, Campbell. You remind me of a dying Irishman, who was asked by his confessor if he was ready to renounce the devil and his works--"Oh, your honor,' said Pat, "don't ask me that; I'm going into a strange country, and I don't want to make myself enemies!" Campbell laughed as if he rather appreciated the joke.

Paper: Salem Register; Date: 05-08-1856; Page: 2; col. 6 Location: Salem, Massachusetts
America's Historical Newspapers