The Freeman (Indianapolis)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Feb 3 17:20:49 UTC 2012

At 2/3/2012 10:46 AM, George Thompson wrote:
>Unless the cittion by Abbott & Seroff is entirely wrong, down to the name
>of the newspaper, then the passage quoted can't be after 1927, because that
>is when the Freeman ceased publication.  The Schomburg Library of the NYPL
>has the Freeman up to the end of 1916.  I didn't notice when reading Abbott
>& Seroff whether they had citations from the Freeman after 1916.   I would
>think that the Schomburg would try to get everything available of that
>paper, so I wonder whether there is a surviving file, 1917-1927.

The Harvard catalog lists "The Freeman", Indianapolis, E.E. Cooper,
as a weekly, with the following notes:
Notes : Began in 1884. Cf. Gregory, Amer. newspapers.
         Ceased in 1926? Cf. NIM, 1973-1977.
Notes : "Negro." Cf. Gregory, Amer. newspapers.
         Publisher varies.

Harvard has it on microfilm, but also only through 1916 (and "incomplete").

Joel