Ragged but Right, pt. 2 ("bro")

Margaret Lee mlee303 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Feb 4 12:07:21 UTC 2012

In the history of the black church, members addressed one another as "Brother Jones" and "Sister Smith." Outside of the church, brother soon became a reference to any black male. Over time it became shortened to 'bro' in mainstream culture.

--Margaret Lee

________________________________
 From: Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Sent: Friday, February 3, 2012 10:13 AM
Subject: Re: Ragged but Right, pt. 2 ("bro")

The following went to George only, for the usual mysterious cyber-reason:

"& Bros." of course, is a long-established abbr. in corporate names.

Presumably its familiarity led to "bro."  I can't imagine a child
reading the abbr. and not pronouncing it as it looks. In fact, ISTR
requiring an explanation at some early age.

So - in theory - "bro" may have been in occasional and unrecorded
humorous use for more than a century.  It only became cool in recent
decades, with "bro" = "buddy" somewhat more recently than that.

JL