Prescriptivism and descriptivism: honey and kashruth

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Feb 7 00:47:39 UTC 2012

At 2/6/2012 07:13 PM, Dan Nussbaum wrote:
>[I wrote] and what about kosher vegans eating honey?
>
>What is the problem with honey and kashruth?
>
>Dan Nussbaum

The question apparently is whether bees (which are non-kosher
insects) simply gather nectar and store honey (kosher), or digest
nectar and produce honey (not kosher).  According to various
schools.  The former of which (the Talmudic ruling) did not
understand the biological process by which nectar is converted into honey.

On the other hand, I'm told locusts, crickets, and grasshoppers are kosher.

My authority is Hebrew National ... uhm, The Second Jewish Book of Why.

Joel