mohawk/not mohawk

Wed Feb 8 08:15:46 UTC 2012

I got a mohawk about two years ago and found there are a lot of different hairstyles under that general term.

Wikipedia has dreadhawk, lazy hawk, Rayhawk, reverse mohawk (nohawk/hawkmo) and shark fin.

I also have a friend named Joe who refers to his hair style as a Joehawk. It's possible he found that term on Urban Dictionary (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=joehawk), but I think he coined it.

Clearly, "hawk" has become a morpheme in its own right.

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA