Ragged but Right, pt. 6 ("bufay", i. e., "ofay")

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Thu Feb 9 23:50:03 UTC 2012

--

Here is an alternative hypothesis.

Note that "the Bufay's characters" is probably not strictly consistent
with "Bufay" = "Ofay" (which would call for "the Bufay characters")
(however this sort of error is far from unknown in newspapers).

But if we take "bufay" to mean "[dramatic/opera] company", all three
instances are fine: the Companies hate to share the bill with Jones, the
Smalls are as prominent as any of the Company's characters, Joplin is
robbed by his [Opera] Company representative.

Why "bufay"? From "Opera Bouffé", I guess (taken to mean "Opera
Company") [This mispronunciation seems to me virtually certain to occur.]

(Limited support for plausibility argument only: "opera bouffé" = "opera
company" in a humorous poem in the [San Jose CA] "Evening News" [31
March 1894]: <<She wance ran away wid an operay bouffay>> [calling for
"bouffay" to rhyme with "away"].)

Why don't we see other examples of this "Bufay" in the "Freeman"?
Because Hendrix (or his informant) soon became aware that "Bouffe"
doesn't mean that, and isn't pronounced that way? [Hendrix was
apparently a volunteer correspondent.]

This is just a casual notion. But I wonder whether there is any good
reason to presume "Bufay" is related to "Ofay".

Anybody see any more instances of this "bufay"?

-- Doug Wilson