origin of dese dem dose in NYCE

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 11 00:27:45 UTC 2012

Since I haven't done a careful analysis, all I can do is offer an
impression, based on what now seem like centuries of examining
vernacular American literature.

My impression and educated guess is that the  "dese, dem, and dose"
phenomenon is not represented in white NYC speech (and in comical
contexts only) until the late 1880s. Within a decade it was a cliche'.

It was specifically associated with the Bowery and a little later the
Lower East Side, just as more recently it has been deemed specially
typical of Brooklyn.  Pressed further, I'd say it was most usually
associated with first- or second-generation Irish, Jewish, and Italian
immigrants.

An early ex.:

1887 _Tid-Bits_ (Jan. 15) 2: A can of benzine exploded in a Bowery
eating house the other day and the proprietor yelled down the kitchen
companion-way - "If yer spill any more of dat coffee I'll massacree
yer!"

Needless to say, the forms "dis," "dat," "dese," "dem," and "dose" had
long been staples of printed representations of AAVE everywhere.

JL