mystery quote: "Men like war...."

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 11 21:37:32 UTC 2012

The quote attributed to Lucy Ellmann may or not be accurate and
remains problematical.

Its earliest discovered appearance, as cited, is in_365 Women's
Reflections on  Men_, ed. by Catherine M. Edmonson. GB dates this book
to 1996, but WorldCat gives a pub. date of 1997. It reappears on the
Net many thousands of times, attributed to Lucy "Ellman."

I could not find the quote in print copies of either _Sweet Desserts_
or _Varying Degrees of Hopelessness_,the two books Ellmann pub'd
before 1996/97.

However, a form of the quote does appear in Ellmann's _Man or Mango?_
(N.Y.: Farrar, Straus & Giroux, *1998*), p. 114, as part of a list
made by a hapless lady lunatic:

"HOW EVERYTHING WRONG WITH THE WORLD IS MEN'S FAULT: ...

"1. Kleenex. Man-size Kleenex is not only bigger but softer. They
think women don't blow their noses. Men rule the world. ...

"7. Death. Unable to make babies, they make bombs instead. Men
menstruate by shedding _other_ people's blood."

Just what an elborated variant of the quote is doing in an anthology
pub'd before the novel is a mystery, though as Garson suggested, not
necessarily a preternatural one.

In any event, if you like witty, formless, desperate whimsy, with a
maraschino of blackest despair, I can recommend _Man or Mango?_
wholeheartedly.

JL