dese, dem and dose

Ronald Butters ronbutters at AOL.COM
Mon Feb 13 16:07:21 UTC 2012

Thanks for this. What I observe is that Ralph's "these" are generally full fricatives, and some are affricates, whereas "in the" becomes "inna." But this just mirrors the inherent sociolinguistic variability of the feature (as I said). If Alice invariably uses the fricative, that, too, follows the sociolinguistic "rule" that women are more likely to use standard forms than are their menfolk. One would predict that Norton, being a plumber, would have more "dese" and "dose."

The scene is set in Brooklyn, but nothing is noticeably Jewish or Dutch or Italian (or Finnish) about their heritage.