shell-bark

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Feb 13 16:49:00 UTC 2012

At 2/13/2012 10:22 AM, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC wrote:
>Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
>Caveats: NONE
>
>Andrew Jackson was called "Old Hickory" because he was tough (consider
>his duel with Charles Dickinson, in which he stood still and took
>Dickinson's shot, so that he was able to fire an aimed fatal shot back),
>and hickory is a tough wood (try and chop it with an axe sometime).
>
>Why wouldn't "shell bark" simply mean "tough"?

Perhaps, perhaps not.  I too do not see the foot-note writer's logic
leading to "sly".  But -- The lawyer in the first story I found
walked out on his client.  It ends,

>"I'm done with all sich infernal fools." And he left the
>conscientious one [the defendant, who wouldn't lie] to his fate.

In the second story, "Old Shell" induces two Justices of the Peace
"for a mountain district" into moving the trial outdoors, starts to
ride off under the excuse that he has forgotten his law book, and
says to the defendant
>"Jist as soon es the top of my hat sinks behind yan hill, du you
>jist run like hounds wer arter you, and mix yerself in that ar
>thicket an never bee seed in these parts agin."  Which order was
>fully obeyed.

The prisoner escaped, because the constable thought it was best to
stay and guard the other three defendants.  This tale ends,

>It is needless to add that old Shell has not practices before that
>court since, nor has he been on that circuit. Old Shell is prudent
>as well as sagacious.

Sounds more like slippery (elm) than tough (shell-bark hickory).  But
there must be some reason for George
Washington Harris to have called the lawyer in these tales "Old Shell[bark]".

Joel