origin of dese dem dose in NYCE

Mon Feb 13 20:09:50 UTC 2012

Certainly not in NYC vowels, or not without reinforcement from other groups.  As for [@i]:

1.  The [@i] in bird etc. might conceivably have come from either Dutch <ui> = [œY~æY] or <eu> = [øY]--except that Dutch <ui, uy> is usually taken in as [aI] (it is Spuyten Duyvil = [spaItn daIvl], isn't it?  At least, that's how this suburban boy learned it; cf. the usual pronunciation of Stuyvesant, Schuyler etc.).  Jersey Dutch texts spell it [a"u], and it isn't clear what that means--but it looks like [EY] or [æY], the latter being common in broad Amsterdam of the present day.  Closer to [aI] than [@i] in any case.

> 2.  The diphthongal reflexes of <eu> = [ø:~øy] can't be a source either.  For one, the diphthongal reflexes of the high-mid vowels, I think, came about later than the 17c.  For two, Breukelen became Brooklyn with [U].  I've heard New Yorkers pronounce Modern Dutch <eu> with [@r] in personal names (my dad had a Dutch colleague named Van Heukelom, which was [væn   h at rk@l at m] to him however.

3.  In Hollandic of the present day, certain /Vr/ combinations--but only in final position--have a strongly palatalized approximant /r/, which can turn into an /i/ in broad vernacular varieties.  This certainly affects /a:r/, /o:r/ and /u:r/, and I think [ø:r] too.  But (1) this is another recent change--it's not even in the 20th c. dialect atlases--or at least not the Reeks Nederlandse Dialektatlassen; and (2) final position is precisely NOT where you get [@i].  Instead you get [^:].

4.  The only expression I can think of with real good NY Dutch vowels is Santa Claus, from Zeelandic [sEnt@ klO:s] rather than Std Dutch [sInt@ kla:s].

Paul Johnston