Blue shot - euthanasia shot

Tue Feb 14 10:55:02 UTC 2012

Today I heard a married couple used the expression "blue shot" followed by "blue shotted" to refer to the shot vets use to put down animals.

I don't see any hits for the shotted form, thought I didn't look very hard. Here are two noun citations:

January 2, 2003 by Cal4D4 (http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-1689.html)
The blue shot from the vet works so quickly and painlessly I would be hard pressed to do a better job.

September 3, 2011 by Lee (http://mysentimentexactlee.com/2011/09/putting-down-your-family-pet-can-be-so-hard/)
When the vet came back he brought a shaver and a blue shot, I’ll never forget how blue it was.

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA