_Heifer_ in the wild

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 16 05:44:41 UTC 2012

There is a similar reference in one of the Porky's movies, although I
don't have the clip.

The most recognized reference to a "heifer" is purification ashes in
Judaism, which can only be produced from burning a "red heifer". A few
years ago, one such heifer made news when it was purchased by one of the
Orthodox sects, just in case the Temple was ever restored. I believe
this is the reference that I recall, although I am not certain of that
particular date:

http://goo.gl/G16hf
> **Rabbi Shmaria Shore is not certain that Melody qualifies as a red
> heifer, but just in case, he keeps her in a special pen and makes sure
> that she's not branded, tagged or mated.
> Because if the rabbis and sages eventually proclaim that the outgoing,
> 10-month-old heifer meets all the scriptural requirements of a red
> heifer, Melody will become only the 10th cow so ordained in all of
> Jewish history, and the first in 2,000 years.
> That may not be so great for Melody, since it would mean that she has
> to be turned to ashes sometime after she turns 3. It could also touch
> off a war.

Also here (and a bunch of other papers) http://goo.gl/z9EZD

A year later, things went south: http://goo.gl/6GAnB

A few more years later, it was back in the news again, apparently with
another cow. http://goo.gl/1PIfI

So these are the most common references to "heifer" that I've heard--the
red heifer of Judaism and insulting some unfortunate (usually oversize
or fugly) woman. Of course, I rarely deal with farming issues...

     VS-)

PS: My initial recollection was that the actual red heifer was found in
Texas, which would be a big no-no to some orthodox sects, but not
others. But I could find no references to back that up.