to "graduate college"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 17 00:15:32 UTC 2012

A point well taken.

There are a fair number of exx. of both phrases ("...college" and
"...high school") going back to the late 19th C., but only (AFAICT) in
the context of the telegraphic style common to biographical
dictionaries.

Here, however, is an early and enlightening ex. in a running text:

1919 _The Headgear Worker_ (May) 128: I know a man in our organization
who never graduated high school or university, who never even
graduated public school, and he has more intelligence and will be able
to do better organizational work than perhaps a man who has graduated
a [sic] university.

I'll leave further antedatings to others.

JL