"Don't Say Gay"

Ronald Butters ronbutters at AOL.COM
Fri Feb 17 17:24:08 UTC 2012

I don't think that we can expect too much in the way of polished English from someone as apparently stupid as this speaker. (Isn't he also claiming the right to prevent schools from teaching that slavery was bad, global warming exists, and Hitler's ideologies were fundamentally wrong?) However, to be fair to this bigot, it seems reasonable to point out that what people say in speaking extemporarily may well contain solecisms that no one would notice who heard them (as opposed to seeing the transcript). We could also go back and find similar oddities in Eisenhower's press conferences, but I don't think we'd learn very much from it about what edited English is like, or what direction the language might be "going".