"Bees' nest"?!!! WTF!!!

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 19 15:41:48 UTC 2012

Now I will sort things out.

Some speakers apparently don't distinguish between bees and wasps
unless they have to, and most may not be able to articulate the
differences clearly or coherently.
I imagine that "wasps look more like ants and have a wasp waist" is
the usual basis of discrimination.

Many, many speakers, however, being confident of the distinction,
nevertheless automatically prefer "bee" when the distinction doesn't
matter or when they haven't got a good luck at the buzzing evildoer.

A familiar phenomenon.  Cf. our long-ago discussion of "soldier" vs.
"Marine."  (Though in that case perhaps a smaller proportion of
speakers can articulate a distinction).

JL