while trolling the OED...

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 19 15:54:49 UTC 2012

To Fred's point:

Isn't the real issue not that it's "considered highly offensive" but
that it's (also) not in keeping with current scientific understandings
of character and psychology?

Would OED leave an old definition suggesting that the earth is flat
alone and suggest that it's "highly offensive"?

"Perversion" remains a useful word. In its invidious sexual
application it still means what it used to, even if now used only by
worried or invidious people.

JL