Alternation between /gr/ and /dr/ in inlaut in BE

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 20 02:01:20 UTC 2012

It's been said that Dred Scott's real name was "_Great_ Scott" and
that "_Dred_ Scott" resulted from an eye-phonetic, negro-dialect,
ebonics-based respelling.

The speaker is the late-great Rick James.

"I never just did things just to do them. Come on! I mean, what am I
going to do? Jusss', just all of a "sudden just jump up and [g]rind my
feet in somebody's couch like it's, like it's, you know, something to
"do? Come on! I've got a little more sense then that!

"Yeah, I remember [dZ]rinding my feet in Eddie's couch."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM8NrGCviN4

1:18min.-1:49min.

Note! If you choose to listen to the entire excerpt, be aware that
this is a clip from the no-punches-pulled Chappelle's Show and not
meant for the faint of ear or for the P.C. of heart.

--
-Wilson
-----