abide = 'abate'

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 20 17:40:29 UTC 2012

 From my experience, Dutch English speakers, although very fluent,
almost have a dialect of their own. There is considerable structural
transfer that makes some phraseology ...er... peculiar. And choice of
words is often slightly off, although usually understandable. And, of
course, speech cadence is very noticeable (which does not appear in
print, oddly enough ;-) ). All of this is merely observational, so
there's plenty of room for disagreement. But I, for one, am not
surprised at the alternative wording.

     VS-)