A mere legality

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Feb 20 20:13:39 UTC 2012

I can imagine a crafty defense lawyer crafting a defense for a client indicted for attempted suicide (if any ever is) on the grounds that in no other case is the crime of "attempted Xing" punished more severely than the corresponding crime of "Xing"; any penalty for attempted murder that was more stringent that for murder in the same jurisdiction would be deemed an instance of cruel and unusual punishment, or attempted armed robbery, etc. etc., so why should that be countenanced in the case of (attempted) suicide?  Of course from the Almighty's perspective, successful suicide *is* punished more severely than merely attempted suicide, and there's no parole.  But--at least until the inauguration of President Santorum--not all sins are crimes.

LH