Hang/hung

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Feb 22 00:52:29 UTC 2012

My understanding of the presciptivist position, and the one I and
Revere's 1798 report to the Corresponding Secretary of the
Massachusetts Historical Society of his ride follow, is exemplified
by the following:

Mark was hanged at the gallows on Cambridge Common* for his
crime.  After he was declared dead, his body was taken from the
gallows to Charlestown, where it was hung in chains for several years.

However, I don't find any such prescription in the OED.

* Not at Boston (Suffolk County), because Charlestown, where the
murder was committed, was in Middlesex County.

But, of course:

Mark was not left hanging on the gallows for long, but quickly taken
to Charlestown, where his body was left hanging in chains for several years.

Joel