cruiser

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 22 09:37:15 UTC 2012

Under cruiser n., in the OED, we have,

> 2.b. A police-car that patrols the streets. /N. Amer./

It certainly extends beyond the 1929-1967 boundaries set by the three
citations, but one thing this does not describe is the policeman who
drives the "cruiser".

Today, we find in the Boston Herald article on high-paid state employees,

http://goo.gl/7fCsA
> State police have 1,600 troopers who earned at least $100,000 last
> year -- with one salaried cruiser taking home $233,583.

Now, "salaried cruiser" cannot possibly apply to a car. I have no idea
how widespread this is or how old.

     VS-)