A mere legality

Eric Nielsen ericbarnak at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 22 10:35:20 UTC 2012

A distant female relative of mine was "hung"--or at least her body was. I
came upon this story recently.

Iron cages were also used to contain the body:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie-Josephte_Corriveau

"....The general court-martial having tried Marie Josephte Corriveau, for
the murder of her husband, Dodier, the court finding her guilty, the
Governor (Murray) doth ratify and confirm the following sentence : — That
Marie Josephte Corriveau do suffer death for the same, and her body be hung
in chains wherever the governor shall think fit."

(Signed) THOMAS MILLS,
Town Major

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Marie-Josephte_Corriveau,_A_Canadian_Lafarge

Eric

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 2:31 PM, Baker, John <JBAKER at stradley.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Baker, John" <JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM>
> Subject:      Re: A mere legality

> Mark's body was hung in chains, so I assume that the chains kept the body
more or less intact.

> In reference to your earlier email, I believe you are right:  Suicides
were buried at crossroads, and not just any roadside.

> John Baker

Of Wilson Gray