_The r-word_

Wed Feb 22 10:58:07 UTC 2012

Individuals who have the remarkable ability to remember the quotidian
details of almost every day of their existence have been studied by
scientists. Here is a 2006 article about one of the first woman in
modern times who has been examined and tested:

Woman With Perfect Memory Baffles Scientists
ABC News March 20, 2006
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=1738881&page=1
[Begin except]
So unique, in fact, that the Irvine team has given her condition a new
name. They call it hyperthymestic syndrome, based on the Greek word
thymesis for "remembering" and hyper, meaning "more than normal."
[End excerpt]

The terms "hyperthymestic syndrome" and "hyperthymesia" are new but
the underlying concept is compelling. So the word "hyperthymesia" will
grow in popularity, I suspect.

Wordnik provides examples for "hyperthymesia" but does not display any
definitions:
http://www.wordnik.com/words/hyperthymesia

Wikipedia has an entry for "Hyperthymesia":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperthymesia

I do not see "hyperthymesia" in the OED or Merriam Webster. They do
have a different word that lies within a small edit distance:

hyperthermia noun
: exceptionally high fever especially when induced artificially for
therapeutic purposes

Garson