American exceptionalizm?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 22 16:48:36 UTC 2012

If Commies feared it, it must be good, Also, since they were materialists,
it must be real.

QED.

Nuances ad lib.

I can recall grad-student lefties of the '80s denouncing the "myth of
American exceptionalism" in the current sense of "American moral,
intellectual, ideological, theological, cultural, and political superiority
to all." (I think that's when it became popular - "Shining City on the
Hill," blah, blah, blah, blah, blah....)

Historians, as I understand it, use the phrase to encapsulate the idea that
U.S. history (successful, long-shot revolution against the top world power,
democratic constitution framed by political philosophers, big
contradiction/hypocrisy/sin of chattel slavery, westward push, Civil War,
robber barons, business growth, world wars and superpower prominence)
really does make the U.S. different from, say, tiny Albania.

However, the historians' concept often subsumes the public faith in the
excellences listed above.

JL