_The r-word_ (UNCLASSIFIED)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 23 14:18:08 UTC 2012

Phil Donahue had a show about idiot-savants (as even a psychologist and the
super-diplomatic Donahue called them) close to twenty years ago.

One did the math stuff, one could recall the weather on each day of his
life,  another could play a complex neoclassical piano concerto after
hearing the composer play it once live on TV, and one could whittle
incredibly realistic animals from  block of woof while the others were
doing the above.

The theory is/was that the savants' condition enables/compels them to focus
almost all of their attention on one extremely narrow galaxy of
information, like math and musical relationships or the weather.  It wasn't
clear to me whether their memory for ordinary things is impaired.

JL