Hot Dog / Hamburger Articles

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Fri Feb 24 20:34:02 UTC 2012

I should add that Ben Zimmer is also credited for his work on "hot dog."

Fred Shapiro

From: Shapiro, Fred
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2012 3:32 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Cc: bapopik at aol.com
Subject: Hot Dog / Hamburger Articles

A few months ago I wrote in my Yale Alumni Magazine column about the origins of the "hamburger" and the "hot dog":

http://www.yalealumnimagazine.com/issues/2011_11/arts_quotations.html

Today the New Haven Register finally picked up on the story:

http://nhregister.com/articles/2012/02/23/opinion/doc4f46f62a6f659843199590.txt

In these articles, Barry Popik is credited with much of the research on "hamburger" and "hot dog."  It will be interesting to see how New Haveners react to Barry's disproof of the claim of local haunt Louis' Lunch to have invented the hamburger (sandwich).

Fred Shapiro