_Jad_

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 26 22:32:41 UTC 2012

Gerald Cohen writes:

"I'm particularly interested in this, because an early attestation of
"jazz" is "jad" (only one example), and this "jad" is presently
"difficult to explain other than as a typo.  But if "Sudi" is a
variant of "Suzie," perhaps "jad" might have arisen similarly from
'jazz.' --- This, of course, is all speculative."

FWIW, alternation between [z] and [d] is so common in BE as to be
unworthy of mention. Cf., e.g.

Je[z]us ~ Je[d]us

Google Books is asshole deep in documentation of this. Of, course,

Youneverknow.

In examples like _Jesus_, the [d] is intervocalic. Unless your example
occurs intervocalically, this case is not probative of anything in
particular, though it may be indicative.

Further FWIW: the historical alternation among [r], [d], and [s], as
well as between any two of the three, is attested in a plethora of
languages.

--
-Wilson
-----