operandi

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 29 17:37:06 UTC 2012

Operandi--from "modus operandi"--shows up in a lot of places. There is
the European cell phone company by that name, fashion startup Moda
Operandi, poorly-rated hair salon in Vancouver Modas Operandi,
motorcycle magazine Motus Operandi, Blogus Operandi, graffiti artist
Moddus Operandi, web design studio Modem Operandi, comic strip about
models ModelOperandi, etc. That's just all silly or punning stuff--to be
expected.

Never mind that most cops and lawyers don't know what "MO" stands for.

I look at Editor&Publisher to find something odd:

http://goo.gl/4jXCJ
> The traditional operandi of releasing the story is to immediately run
> it after the copy editor dots the last "i."

My assumption here is that this is simply a typo. I have found no other
instances of isolated "operandi" other than corporate names. But I did
not want to just let it by in case this is the beginning of a trend instead.

     VS-)