Modal + PP

Hunter, Lynne R CIV SPAWARSYSCEN-PACIFIC, 71700 lynne.hunter at NAVY.MIL
Tue Jan 3 19:28:27 UTC 2012

I'd venture that it is used in North Yorkshire. I distinctly recall an
exchange with my maternal grandmother (a Victorian-Edwardian
Englishwoman from Saltburn-by-the-Sea), in which I'd volunteered to wash
the woodwork in her house. Her reply: "It doesn't want washed." I've
remembered the conversation these 60-odd years because the construction
struck me as singular at the time. (My grandmother probably used that
phrasing on a regular basis, but I never paid close attention after
remarking that particular instance.)

Lynne Hunter

---------------------- Information from the mail header
-----------------------

Poster:       Paul Johnston <paul.johnston at WMICH.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Modal + PP
-------

That sort of construction is fine in Scotland... As far as I know, it is
General Scots and Northumbrian--I'm not sure about the "Norse Crescent"
dialects from Carlisle to York and Hull.

Paul Johnston

-------

======