ESPN Sugar Bowl game

Thu Jan 5 22:07:50 UTC 2012

Here is an example from GB where "throws long" does not mean
overthrows. It probably means "throwing the ball a long distance".
Victor noted that this was a possibility. I am posting this as a
concrete illustration.

4th & Inches - Page 146
books.google.com
John Paul Weier - 2006 - 164 pages - Google eBook - Preview
No. 1 drops back, he has time, he throws long, and it's caught by No.
22, who cuts right to avoid a would-be tackier and gets hit from
behind.