co-sleeping

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 7 09:11:47 UTC 2012

Here's another word I've never heard--legal and helicopter-parenting
jargon, I suppose.

http://goo.gl/y4XV6
> The Utah Court of Appeals has refused to dismiss charges in the
> controversial case of a South Jordan couple accused of killing their
> baby by sleeping with him -- their second child to die in their bed.
> The appeals judges sided with a lower court in a pair of opinions
> released Friday, saying that even though a state medical examiner
> listed the official cause of death as "undetermined," there was enough
> evidence that "co-sleeping" caused the baby to suffocate to put the
> parents on trial for child abuse homicide and reckless endangerment.
> At 3½ months, he was too young to roll over on his own, evidence that
> "supports a reasonable inference that Merrill actually caused the
> infant to stop breathing by co-sleeping," according to Friday’s opinion.
> The parents were said to be heavy sleepers, and a pediatrician warned
> them against co-sleeping a day before the child’s death.

This is not without precedent. The OED has both co-sleeping n. and
co-sleep v. from 1966.

Wordnik has several citations, including some with co-sleep and some
with co-sleeper. OED does not have co-sleeper either in the sense of a
special co-sleeping crib or in the sense of parent and child who are
co-sleeping.

http://goo.gl/4UqvJ
Co-sleeping's deadly risk

http://goo.gl/vndDT

http://goo.gl/tcEVg

http://goo.gl/meiYJ
> The Consumer Product Safety Commission warned last week against
> co-sleeping--infants sleeping next to parent. Its study found parents
> can roll over and suffocate babies. Critics call the data misleading.
> It's all part of the war over for what's best for Baby.
> Sleep Easy: Co-sleeping means more rest, less crying for the baby (and
> the parents). It also aids breast-feeding and mother-child bonding.
> Baby on Board: The CPSC says Baby's safest on her back, in a crib, on
> a hard mattress, with no blankets, pillows or stuffed toys
> Different Strokes: Ethnic cultures where co-sleeping has always been
> the norm resent CPSC's proclamation
> Real Risks: Co-sleeping deaths do happen (especially when parents are
> overweight or go to bed drunk). Is it better to be safe than cozy?
> Mother, Nature: We're biologically wired to co-sleep. Baby cries when
> alone because he's supposed to be with Mom.

Wiki, UD, WordSpy and some parenting glossaries also have entries. But
not mainline dictionaries (other than the OED).

VS-)